Thursday, May 12, 2011

On the road again

Tonight I'll be taking a train back to New York City (woohoo!) after being gone for nearly a year.

And then on Monday, when I return (yes, 40 hours of train rides for less than 48 hours in the city), I'll be moving into a small cabin in the woods of Georgia.

I'm excited and nervous. The next few days are going to be super busy for me, and this entire summer is essentially going to be me... alone. In a cabin. My partner will be taking care of our pets, and I'll be back at "our" apartment often enough, but this is a time of self-reflection for m.

Oh, writing too. Of course there will be writing. And waiting to hear back from Samhain on the submission I put in last week.

However, I've never been truly alone. I'm 26 years old this year, and I've never had the opportunity to really rely on JUST myself for any period of time. I moved in with my partner almost five years ago, after moving out of my college dorm room (essentially from my parents' house), and he was already an established adult. I haven't really had my own "grown up" time.

I know I sound like a crazy person. Trust me, if I had it my way I'd be living in a tent this summer rather than a two bedroom cabin with a full kitchen, running water, electricity, and even a television. But no working channels. Oh, and my AT&T service doesn't reach this part of the country. And there's no line for internet, either.

I'm starting to sound crazy to myself.... No internet?

1 comment:

  1. I don't think you sound crazy at all. I think it is fantastic that you are determined to do this. I am 25 years old and I am still living with my family. I have never lived anywhere else, accept for 3 months while I was overseas. I too, still need to come face to face one day with purely me time. I think you are very brave. I know you will do fantastically well. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete